Global TV aired a very, very damning broadcast about Zerona Canada today. If you have been reading our articles at the VCSFA, you would not have been surprised at the kind of behaviour.
The summary of the lessons that one should take away from this unfortunate story are as follows:
- Even a great product (or service) cannot make a business fly on its own
- Franchisors make lots of claims that should be checked and then checked again
- This pain would have continued and never been exposed if these courageous owners didn’t fight the dominant power – and yes, a franchisee is in a position of weakness before they sign up for the deal.
- Support (or lack thereof) is *absolutely rampant* in franchising. Amongst most cases we’ve seen you can only be sure you are getting one thing – the name. Everything above that is [sadly] a bonus
- Franchisors: you can only burn so many bridges before the skeletons of your past close in from all sides and you have no where to run but to the judge for mercy
As always, we are here to help franchisees of coffee shops – and beyond. Don’t hesitate to reach out to us here at the VCSFA